The Immigration Reform and Control Act, 1986 - Public Law 99-603 requires all employers to verify proof of identity and employment eligibility through proper identification Any employee hired after November 6, 1986, will be required to meet the documentation requirements.


The new immigration law requires that all employees hired after November 6, 1986, must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility. Applicants will be required to submit the original of one document from List “A”. (see below)

Documents that Establish Identity and Employment Eligibility:

  • United States Passport.
  • Certificate of United States Citizenship. (INS form N-560 or N-561)
  • Certificate of Naturalization. (INS form N-550 or N-570)
  • Unexpired foreign passport which:
  • ...Contains an unexpired stamp which reads “Processed for I-551. Temporary Evidence of Lawful Admission for Permanent Residence. Valid until _____.“ Employment authorized”; or
  • ...Has attached thereto a Form I-94 bearing the same name as the passport and contains an employment authorization stamp, so long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the Form I-94.
  • ...Alien Registration Receipt Card.
  • ...Resident Alien Card (INS Form I-551), provided that it contains a photograph of the bearer.
  • ...Temporary Resident Card. (INS Form I-688)
  • ...Employment Authorization Card. (INS Form I-688A)

Documents that Establish Identity for Individuals 16 Years of Age or Older:

  • State-issued driver’s license or state-issued identification card contatining a photograph. If the drivers license or identification card does not contain a photograph, identifying information should be included, such as name, date of birth, sex, height, color of eyes, and address.
  • School identification card with a photograph.
  • Voter’s registration card.
  • United States Military card or draft record.
  • Identification card issues by federal, state or local government agencies.
  • Military dependant’s identification card.
  • Native American tribal documents
  • United States Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card.
  • Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority. For individuals under age 16 who are unable to produce one of the documents listed above:
  • School record or report card.
  • Clinic doctor or hospital record.
  • Daycare or nursery school record.

Documents that Establish Identity for Individuals 16 Years of Age or Older:

  • Social Security number card, other than one which has printed on its face “not valid for employment purposes.”

    Note: This must be a card issued by the Social Security Administration; a facsimile (such as reproduction that people can buy) is not acceptable.

    An original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, or municipal authority bearing an official seal.

  • Unexpired INS employment authorization.
  • Unexpired re-entry permit. (INS Form I-327)
  • Unexpired Refugee Travel Document. (INS Form I-571)
  • Certification of Birth issued by the Department of State. (Form FS-545)
  • Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State. (Form DS-1350)
  • United States Citizen Identification Card. (INS Form I-197)
  • Native American tribal document.
  • Identification Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States. (Form I-179)